Council believes in providing an environment where staff thrive, both in the work they do and in how they learn and develop as people and professionals. Providing working conditions that are flexible, meet the needs of the employee and our community is key to our offering.
What can we offer you?
- The Greater Dandenong City Council Enterprise Agreement, Council’s Code of Conduct and other policies and procedures set out our employment conditions.
- Our positions are classified according to an 8-level pay scale. Each level has up to 4 pay steps and you have the opportunity to progress through the steps until you reach the top of the band.
- A range of Corporate training is offered across the year to offer skills enhancement and professional development to all staff. A rolling calendar of training programs is available for Greater Dandenong staff.
- Every team member has an opportunity to discuss their career and take action to achieve their goals. This will usually be during the annual Performance Development and Planning (PDP) discussion.
As part of our goal to make the City of Greater Dandenong an even greater place to work, Council provides access to a range of excellent employee benefits.
- Discounted memberships for Greater Dandenong Leisure and Recreational Facilities
- The Local Government Employee (LGE) Health Plan is available to all Greater Dandenong employees through our health insurer GMHBA
- A Computer Purchase Scheme
- Novated Leasing options
- Staff Giving Program/Casual for a cause and other payroll deductions
- Green Travel Scheme
- Membership at our Libraries
- Greater Dandenong Social Club
We will try to support you as best we can to ensure work doesn’t come at the expense of your life outside work.
If you are interested in an advertised role that does not suit your flexibility needs, we encourage you to inquire with the nominated contact officer whether a flexible working option could be negotiated.
Our flexible working options include:
- Hybrid/remote working arrangements
- study assistance – time off for study
- time in lieu arrangements
- flexible work arrangements like job share, part-time, rostered days off
- salary sacrifice for child care
- leave purchase schemes (i.e. 48/52)
- parental leave
- employee assistance program
- after hours dependent care for after-hours meetings
- flexible taking of leave including long service leave
- workplace adjustments
Where possible, the City of Greater Dandenong will undertake to identify and resolve potential barriers to the recruitment and employment of people with disability within the Council. Requests for individual workplace adjustments will be addressed, as far as is practicable, in a timely, confidential and sensitive manner.
We encourage candidates to discuss any needs with the recruiting manager prior to interview to ensure we can best reduce any barriers from the start of the process.
Contributing to the Community
We are an organisation that sees ourselves as part of our local community. Our community is at the heart of everything we do and we take every opportunity we can to give back to the people that live, work and visit the City of Greater Dandenong.
As an employee, you can:
- participate in charitable events and support programs in the community
- access to one day of paid leave each year to carry out volunteer work with local agencies
- salary sacrifice donations to seven local agencies and Animal Protection Society
- wear casual dress on Fridays for a small donation so support local welfare agencies and the Animal Protection Society
- participate in morning teas and lunches to support events like Harmony Day and Genes for Jeans day
Amazing choices for lunch
Greater Dandenong is home to some of Melbourne’s greatest places to eat. Known as a destination for food lovers and is home to a large range of cuisines such as Afghan, Indian, African and Polish. With this in mind, exploring and trying the food the area has on offer for lunch is a great perk of working in Greater Dandenong.
Find out about our local offering via the Visit Greater Dandenong section of the corporate website.